Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Belated Birthday Party --- Check!

As I sat at the edge of Kristina's bed on Sunday evening, I was in tears.  I sat there watching her sleep -- something I have had the privilege to do for over 7 1/2 years.  I was in tears probably because of the rawness of my emotions when I'm exhausted after trying to put 110% into a birthday party that I hope she will remember for the rest of her life.   (Ha --- like she can forget it when I document her life here on this blog....)

Yes -- Kristina's birthday was last month -- but it falls around winter break when everyone is traveling and off from school.  I would have had to send out invites before Christmas and, well --- I never did get Christmas cards out this past season (first time I've missed in 32 years) --- so a party in February made so much more sense for many reasons. 

Since Kristina is into gymnastics, she really wanted the party at Le Club Gymnastics where she goes weekly.  Her last big birthday party was in 2010 --- when Kristina turned 3.  Back then, it was her very first party as they didn't celebrate the kids' birthdays in the baby home in Russia.  Ever since, we have kept the parties small to her 5 closest childhood friends or just family.  She was due!

After wracking my brain for a week over the invites -- I went to Costco and ended up with this one.  I love Costco!
I have a feeling those tears of mine were also stemming from the fact that I know that this party was such a big deal for her.  She has been talking about it for the last 6 weeks constantly.  It was a tad difficult making up the invite list because she wanted to invite everyone but knew we had to keep it to her longtime childhood friends and closest 4th Grade girlfriends.  Believe me, we had to trim it numerous times and have a few "come to Jesus" meetings to keep her on track. 

As it turns out, Kristina had 12 girlfriends attend and they all had a great time.  After 90 minutes of running/jumping/swinging around, the girls were hot, sweaty and smiling...and hungry!  My hat off to all those who work in food service...it was a team effort to feed 13 girls!  I *sincerely appreciate* fellow moms and dads who were there and jumped at the chance to help out -- during the party and cleaning up afterwards.

The party was supposed to be 11am-1pm.....and we finally left at 2:10!  Eek....thank goodness there wasn't another party scheduled for the next party slot (1:30).  I crashed for a 15-minute nap when we came home and our birthday girl was asleep by 7pm.

Talk about sleep, I think I'll go sit next to her now as she sleeps so soundly so I can watch her for a little bit before I retire for the night.  Not a day passes when I don't thank God for picking us to have the privilege of being Kristina's mom and dad -- I think I'll have that discussion with Him right now.  ;)

Birthday Party Pics!

The gym where the girls are running and jumping

Kristina LOVES the gym and sharing it with her friends was just a bonus.
Bella focusing on the beam

Gaby racing along the beam

Natalie's turn with Gaby right behind!

Andrea's tired....but still smiling!

Two-year old, Lily, showed some awesome balance skills!

Lily had lots of fun!

Coach asked if I wanted to take a spin around the obstacle course.  Ugh - no.

Focusing on beam work, with Coach Jake and Coach Robert handing out the drills.


Kira channeling the inner gymnast in herself!

The girls are checking out "Memory Lane."  I put up photos of Kristina with each of her girlfriends who attended -- some now and then photos going back to when Kristina was 2 years old!!
Because I had so much time on my hands....!

Had to have all of Kristina's favorite candy.

Cake table

Pizza and fruit -- big hit!
I tried to get creative by having a fruit rainbow.  Not sure anyone noticed but the fruit was delicious!
The cake (from La Paz Bakery in Canoga Park) was fabulous!  Not only was it decorated beautifully, but it tasted  delicious.  Chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream icing on the bottom, and white cake with buttercream chocolate frosting on the top layer.

We had so much food that I asked families who just dropped off their daughter to come back at 12:30 to have some lunch!  I truly wish I had more time to socialize with everyone. 

Kristina was so surprised by how big the cake was!

Yes, I kept the tradition with this cake, too -- always having a matryoshka with the birthday cake honoring the woman who brought Kristina into this world.  :)

The Deary Girls

Our little family

Getting ready to sing.....

Blowing out all 10 candles, plus one for good luck.

Was shocked to see that the cake was 6 layers!  Six DELICIOUS layers.

I had to get a lesson from a good friend, Mike, regarding how to dismantle the cake and then cut it!

The "Goodie Bag":  fun stuff-- drawstring backpack, jump rope, pen and notepad, sweat wristbands, friendship bracelets and an emoji!

Avery and Kristina met in Kindergarten

Gaby and Kristina are 5 months apart.  Gaby is Kristina's first friend -- having met when Kristina was home 1 week from Russia.
A wonderful group of girls!

When we got home, Kristina was ready to release her balloon and make a wish...

Watching her balloon....
...carrying her wishes off to Heaven.

And sleeping soundly by 7pm.






No comments: